[X4U] AppleCare Status codes

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Oct 27 10:40:28 PDT 2006

> The Geniuses cannot just take your word for it, because they'd have people
> making up crap stories all the time. It's pretty much the same as a doctor
> that won't prescribe you meds without seeing you first. They do have to work
> to replicate the problem, unless they have some other sort of proof from you
> -- screenshots, or a digital camera picture of your screen, etc. Even then,
> it only tells them what to look for, and doesn't allow them to take any
> readings or see the hardware status *during* the problem. Repeating the
> problem is key.

Gah!  (quickly grabs Nikon and slaps memory chip into PC)  I actually have
three pictures of the problem on my Nikon's memory card.  I totally forgot
that I'd taken them while troubleshooting the problem.  I'll slap them on my
thumb drive, and try to remember to take it with me when I pick it up.

> If your problem is noted and diagnosed while you're within your APP period,
> the problem will be resolved even if it's outside the APP duration.

But the problem has to be seen by them while it's in the APP period, right?

> Relax. Your computer is in good hands. Geniuses undergo testing and
> certification before they can become a Genius, and are required to re-test
> on each platform annually to maintain their certification and remain a
> Genius (desktop and laptop testing are separate from each other). It's going
> to be okay.

Having spent the last 20 years working with computers, as such I have a
hard time trusting repair tech's until they've proven themselves to me.

I've only just started letting others do the hardware work for me at work
this year.  And then only because I'm streched so thin I don't have the time
to do it myself.

> arrive. If you were there Tuesday night, it's likely that Tuesday's order
> had gone in during the day Tuesday, and your part was added to the store's
> queue that would go in on Wednesday. Once Apple had received that order and

Good point, it would have been about 5pm that they placed the order, plus
they were having computer problems with accessing thier databases.

> Hope this helps to relax you somewhat...

Only slightly :^)

		Zane