[X4U] Command to get permissions of a single item?

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Mon Oct 30 19:08:57 PST 2006

I usually use "ls -la" to show permissions on a whole folder. Here's what
the man page on ls has to say about -l

The Long Format
     If the -l option is given, the following information is displayed for
     each file: file mode, number of links, owner name, group name, number
of
     bytes in the file, abbreviated month, day-of-month file was last
modi-
     fied, hour file last modified, minute file last modified, and the
path-
     name.  In addition, for each directory whose contents are displayed,
the
     total number of 512-byte blocks used by the files in the directory is
     displayed on a line by itself immediately before the information for
the
     files in the directory.  If the file or directory has extended
security
     information, the permissions field printed by the -l option is
followed
     by a '+' character.

The "a" operand shows .hidden files too - kinda like show all.

But you said you wanted permissions for a single file... Doug's suggestion
is correct, include it with the command:

ls -l /path_to_file

Coj

Doug McNutt <douglist at macnauchtan.com>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
31/10/06 12:56 PM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

Mac OS X for Users <x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [X4U] Command to get permissions of a single item?

At 20:29 -0400 10/30/06, Jerry Krinock wrote:
> The only command I can find for reading permissions is "ls",
>but of course that gives it for ITEMS IN the subject, which must be a
>directory.

I think you'll find that ls will return data for a single file if it is
offered as the argument without any wild cards.

If you're looking for permissions of a directory then use the -d option.
--

-->  Halloween  == Oct 31 == Dec 25 == Christmas  <--