[X4U] removing accented characters from filenames

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Tue Oct 31 16:45:08 PST 2006

At 10:40 AM -0500 31/10/06, Matt Gregory wrote:
>Wow, you shouldn't have showed me that!  I was trying to open my
>mind but instead might have to open my wallet.  :-)  At first I
>thought "why spend $20 for a one-time thing?" but as I read through
>the manual it seems like a great utility to have around.  Thanks for
>the tip!
>
>I looked through the online manual and didn't find anything
>explicitly stating it will deal with accented characters.  I'm
>assuming since you said it was extremely easy that you have in mind
>how to do it with this tool.  Is it a specific feature or something
>I'd have to tackle with a regular expression?

Before I recommended it to you this morning I made several files with
accented characters, and it worked perfectly. No regular expression
at all.

The way I did it was to choose
Change: Change only file name
Action: Replace characters
Replace these characters:  (accented character)    With: (unaccented
character)    check: ignore case

There is a fly-out window to the right. At the bottom, tell it to
process Files/Folders/Subfolders or whatever combination you want.

Drag your files into the large area of the flyout window. Click the
OK button and it will just do it for you, very fast.

Note that you can set it to process several different accented
characters at the same time. I am sending you before-after screen
shots privately.

Daly