[X4U] Using Apple's Find (Command F)

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Sep 2 15:58:58 PDT 2006

On 09/02/06, Robert Ameeti <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:
> At 5:42 PM -0700, 9/1/06, Daly Jessup wrote:
>
>>Also, I have a confusion here, because I thought a big problem with
>>Spotlight was that it deliberately omits quite a few folders from
>>its searches, so it would not search the entire hard drive. Has that
>>changed?
>
> I don't think so. I do believe that Apple is still omitting the
> System directory from its searches until the user alters the defaults
> through a hack.

No hack needed. Users are able to modify plist files. Just modify the
/.Spotlight-V100/_rules.plist file which controls what's excluded and included
in Spotlight searches. This ain't rocket science. This is what mine looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>EXCLUDE</key>
        <array/>
        <key>INCLUDE</key>
        <array>
                <string>/System</string>
                <string>/Library</string>
                <string>/Developer/ADC Reference Library</string>
                <string>/etc</string>
                <string>/private</string>
                <string>/usr</string>
                <string>/bin</string>
                <string>/sbin</string>
        </array>
        <key>NOTE</key>
        <string>Specify paths to include or exclude, preceeding rules which
target user-homes with ~/</string>
</dict>
</plist>