[X4U] Airport Extreme

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Sat Sep 2 16:35:27 PDT 2006

On Aug 16, 2006, at 3:24 AM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> A friend from Oregon has mailed me with the next problem.  I don't
> have this card, so I ask the gurus from this group.
>
> <<  I recently bought and installed an Airport Extreme card in my
> Mac G4, which is running Tiger. The card is sloppy in the plug-in,
> and I'm thinking maybe I should have purchased a regular Airport
> Card instead of Airport Extreme for this old machine.  No one told
> me to buy Airport Extreme, I just tried to get the latest equipment.
> Could you tell me if I've made a mistake? The computer tells me
> that the card is not installed, so I know something's wrong.>>
>
> Paul Moortgat

*
It sounds like your G4 needs the older Airport card, and not Airport
Extreme.

Strangely enough, the older card lists at $200 (if you can find one)
while a new Airport Extreme Card is $49 from Apple.

Refurbished Airport cards can be found for about $100 (eBay).

If you have an Airport Extreme Base Station, it *will* be compatible
with the older Airport card.

earle
*