[X4U] Using Apple's Find (Command F)

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Sun Sep 3 07:02:55 PDT 2006

At 8:36 PM -0700 2/9/06, revDAVE wrote:
>On 9/2/2006 5:03 PM, "Daly Jessup" <jessup at san.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>  John, where and how do you find that .plist file?
>>
>>  Daly
>
>Check my other post...
>
>When you're done, click on the Save
>button, name the smart folder whatever you like (you'll rename it later),
>and save it to your desktop. Switch to the Finder and navigate to /System/
>Library/CoreServices. Control-click on the Finder entry, and select Show
>Package Contents. In the new window that appears, go to /Contents/
>Resources. Drag the file named default_smart.plist to your Documents folder,
>or to any location other than your desktop.

I'm still confused. My question referred to this suggestion from John Baltutis:

>>  > I don't think so. I do believe that Apple is still omitting the
>>  > System directory from its searches until the user alters the defaults
>>  > through a hack.
>>
>>No hack needed. Users are able to modify plist files. Just modify the
>>/.Spotlight-V100/_rules.plist file which controls what's excluded
>>and included
>>in Spotlight searches. This ain't rocket science. This is what mine
>>looks like:

So I asked:

>>John, where and how do you find that .plist file?

Your instructions seem to direct me to the "default_smart.plist"
whereas John's post was saying to modify
".Spotlight-V100/_rules.plist" and I asked where to find it. It's an
invisible file and none of my methods were turning it up.

So I'm not seeing the connection between your suggestion and his. Can
you clarify?

Daly