[X4U] Using Apple's Find (Command F)

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Sun Sep 3 13:47:44 PDT 2006

At 1:35 PM -0700 3/9/06, John Baltutis wrote:
>Quick tutorial. All of Spotlight's arcane stuff is stored in the hidden,
>root-level directory /.Spotlight V100. To view its contents, use the
>Terminal.app command ls, preceeding it with sudo:
>
>sudo ls -al /.Spotlight-V100/   ---->
>.journalHistoryLog
>.store.db
>ContentIndex.db
>Store-V1 (which contains a ton of indexes)
>_IndexPolicy.plist
>_rules.plist
>store.db
>
>Use the cp command to back it up (so you can replace it if you screw it up),
>copy it to your desktop, open it in TextEdit, add the new parts, save it, and
>cp it back, replacing the original.

Thank you so much. Coincidentally, I have been studying a basic Unix
tutorial this afternoon so that was less confusing than it might have
been  an hour ago!

But I notice in the listing of /.Spotlight-V100/ that its size is
zero. and when I try to view it (I used "cat" - was that wrong?) it
says "No such file or directory".

I appear not to have journaled my hard drive. Would that make this
process not work? My guess is that the answer is "yes". So can you
only change this .plist if your disk is set up to be journaled?

Or maybe I am misinterpreting the "---->" in your instructions.

Sorry to be a pain here.

Daly