[X4U] Using Apple's Find (Command F)

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Tue Sep 5 05:29:32 PDT 2006

At 9:54 PM -0700 9/4/06, John Baltutis wrote:  (helping me figure out
how to follow his suggestion about using Terminal to edit the list of
locations covered by a Spotlight search)

>(Very confusing. What has size zero? The /.Spotlight-V100 directory? Shouldn't
>be. On my machine,
>  ls -al / --->
>drw-------   11 root    baltwo      374 Sep  4 00:50 .Spotlight-V100

Well, whatever I thought was zero, mine is now more or less what
yours shows. I don't recall what was zero.

>sudo ls -al /.Spotlight-V100/
>drw-------   11 root  unknown       374 Sep  4 00:50 .
>drwxrwxr-t   36 root  admin        1258 Sep  3 22:03 ..
>-rw-------    1 root  unknown         0 Sep  4 11:46 .journalHistoryLog
>-rw-------    1 root  unknown  47861760 Sep  4 21:34 .store.db
>-rw-------    1 root  unknown  99614720 Sep  4 20:57 ContentIndex.db
>drwx------    2 root  unknown        68 Aug 22 16:28 Store-V1
>-rw-------    1 root  unknown       238 Sep  4 00:50 _IndexPolicy.plist
>-rw-------    1 root  unknown       230 Sep  4 00:40 _exclusions.plist
>-rw-------    1 root  unknown       619 Feb  3  2006 _rules.plist
>-rw-------    1 root  unknown       378 Jan 21  2006 _rules.plist.bak
>-rw-------    1 root  unknown  47861760 Sep  4 21:20 store.db
>
>Note that I have journaling turned off-doin't think it's viable for
>single-user
>machines, only servers-thus its size is 0.

So was mine.

>  > I appear not to have journaled my hard drive. Would that make this
>>  process not work? My guess is that the answer is "yes". So can you
>>  only change this .plist if your disk is set up to be journaled?
>
>Which process are you talking about? The one about modifying the _rules.plist?

I was trying to figure out why I couldn't copy the _rules.plist file
(so the "process" was that of copying a file) and wondered if the
reason was that my disk wasn't journalled.

>Terminal 101 when dealing with system-level objects. You have to give the
>entire path; thus,
>sudo cp /.Spotlight-V100/_rules.plist /.Spotlight-V100/_ rules2.plist --backs
>up the original
>sudo cp /.Spotlight-V100/_rules.plist ~/Desktop/ --copies _rules.plist to the
>Desktop

That was the secret. I didn't know I had to give the whole path.

>You don't need to include the file's name, since it doesn't exist. Make the
>changes, then
>sudo ~/Desktop/_rules.plist /.Spotlight-V100/ --and it overwrites
>the original.
>Restart and it should be in operation.

It's done and it worked. And I learned interesting things in the
process. Thank you for the detailed explanations.

Daly