[X4U] remote access

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Thu Sep 7 06:39:17 PDT 2006

At 1:55 PM +0100 7/9/06, Simon Forster wrote:
>On 7 Sep 2006, at 13:15, Daly Jessup wrote:

>>I am describing this because I do not believe I could use VNC or
>>Timbuktu or anything else to get into the overall network in these
>>companies.
>
>From a technological viewpoint, I think you're almost certainly
>wrong. Sounds like you're setting up a VPN using a secure passkey
>generator. Once the VPN's in place, effectively you are part of the
>network at work.

Yes, that's what I'm doing. They have a VPN server, and the passkey
generator gives me access. I get connected to the network, and from
there, can use Remote Desktop Connection to access my particular PC
on that network and control it.  What I meant to say was that without
the VPN, I would not be able to get into the network at all, much
less access my computer.

Since I have only a hazy idea of how these things work, I don't quite
understand what you are saying I'm wrong about.  Do you think there's
some other way into that secure network besides the VPN?

>From a security viewpoint you may be right. I'd have thought that an
>organisation applying these sorts of controls will also control what
>software you can install on your machine - so you may not be allowed
>to install the VNC server or Timbuktu. However, this is all moot as
>you've got Windows Remote Desktop installed on the PC so you can
>access it remotely using that.

So far, I have been able to install anything I wanted on my work
machine. I don't have  Remote Desktop on the PC. I just have the XP
"Allow Remote Connections" option checked. The Remote Desktop
Connection is on the Mac and it lets me view and control the PC from
my Mac at home.

Daly