[X4U] remote access

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Sep 7 06:57:43 PDT 2006

On 7 Sep 2006, at 13:15, Daly Jessup wrote:
> To reach the work machine, I obtained a "SecureID" device, about
> the size of a thumb drive. It generates and displays a new network
> passkey every 30 seconds or so. I installed a very small
> application from Cisco on my Mac with which I access the work
> network using a private PIN number and the current password from
> the SecurID device. Almost instantly I am admitted into the secure
> environment at work.  I got the Cisco utility from the IT
> departments web site at work. They have a Cisco VPN server set up
> there, so I had to use the Cisco utility.

The "SecureID" device is just a flashy way of doing VPN. It may be
more secure to use such a device than to VPN without one, but for a
base analysis this is probably in the order of increasing the mean-
time-to-crack from a thousand years to 10 million.

One most significant advantage of devices like SecureID may be that
they're difficult to get hold of, have to be accounted for and have a
physical component - as a consequence you know that an employee has
handed his in when he leaves the company. This probably reduces
problems with key distribution and compromised keys - a regular VPN
can surely be maintained just as securely by generating a key for
each employee and maintaining a list of which key is assigned to
which member of staff, but it may be more difficult to ensure that an
employee's key is not copied & used by a 3rd party. It will be
obvious should a device like SecureID be tampered with, but
nevertheless such a device is not required for VPN.

> Then at home on my Mac, I use the free application, Microsoft
> Remote Desktop Connection (available at versiontracker). All I need
> is my work computer's IP address and my regular Windows login name
> and password, and there I am, looking at the work computer as if I
> were sitting in front of it. I can do anything there that I can do
> when I'm at work, including travel through the work network, print
> to work printers, and so on. It is nearly as fast as working on the
> Windows machine directly.  Oh, I had to set the work machine to
> allow remote connections to get this to work.
>
> I am describing this because I do not believe I could use VNC or
> Timbuktu or anything else to get into the overall network in these
> companies.

I believe that Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) software
does itself handle encrypted connections. See <http://tinyurl.com/
obzp5>. A VPN probably provides a higher level of security &
confidence than relying upon the encryption within MS's RDC, but you
can probably manage without it and you should be able to access a
Windows Terminal Server (the server end of RDC) with only a single
forwarded port.

Once connected to the VPN, other encryption is unnecessary - you can
use RDC within the virtual LAN without it, and you could also use VNC
or whatever. RDC is just nice because it comes pre-installed on many
Windows systems and because using Microsoft's client software (even
on a Mac) just seems to work slightly better than VNC for things like
right-clicking, copying and pasting &c.

> If I were you, I would talk to the IT department and just ask how
> you can access your work computer from home. You will find out if
> they have a secure network set up with special requirements for
> access.

Indeed. I second that, although my experience of corporate IT types
is that they can be remarkably clueless about anything other than
Windows. The lower echelons of support tend to say "no, it only works
on Windows" or if you're lucky "we only support Windows". My
experience of "corporate IT", even with quite a small enterprise, was
that the higher echelons who did actually have a bit of an idea how
things actually worked and what protocols were used & so on (although
this really meant that they knew the acronyms and requirements,
rather than a deep understanding of the topic) were remarkably
reluctant to talk to or help end-users. They seemed to consider
themselves too important to be seen doing much other than "important
IT executivey" things and that employees should be happy with the
Dell & Windows solution that they had selected.

> I don't know about the web-based services you mention. Who told you
> about them? Maybe that person can give you more details?

There are, as you surmise, lots of services that can be accessed over
the web, but I couldn't help wondering if the OP was referring to
Microsoft's Remote Web Workplace. This allows access to Outlook, RDC
and other services "through a web-browser"; it's really cool to be
able to remote desktop through a web-browser, and to be able to drag
& drop emails within the broswer window, but since Remote Web
Workplace uses ActiveX controls it's only compatible with Internet
Explorer on Windows.

The OP really needs to help us by posting the brands and names of the
technology his employer uses.

Stroller.