[X4U] remote access

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Thu Sep 7 09:30:49 PDT 2006

Daly Jessup wrote:
> At 4:48 AM -0400 7/9/06, Mitchell Senft wrote:
>> I want to be able to access the work network from home, something I
>> know nothing about. The work network is predominantly Windows but the
>> file server runs on Linux.
[...]

> Then at home on my Mac, I use the free application, Microsoft Remote
> Desktop Connection (available at versiontracker). All I need is my work
> computer's IP address and my regular Windows login name and password,
> and there I am, looking at the work computer as if I were sitting in
> front of it. I can do anything there that I can do when I'm at work,
> including travel through the work network, print to work printers, and
> so on. It is nearly as fast as working on the Windows machine directly.
> Oh, I had to set the work machine to allow remote connections to get
> this to work.
[...]
> Daly

Two things come to mind immediately. I assume you need a static IP address.
Secondly, allowing remote connections sounds pretty scary!
I would also assume you'd need a good firewall to do that.

I recently pondered the possibility to access my HOME computer from a
relative's house, several states away.
When I visit, I'd like to be able to access my own computer when I have some
spare time, and catch up on my emails, etc...

Problem is, I think, that I have a dynamic IP address. So the above software
is out.

keith whaley