[X4U] Skype

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 12:58:15 PDT 2006

On Sep 12, 2006, at 7:40 AM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> When I send or receive a small (300K) picture in Skype, is the
> speed around 0.3-0.5 K/s.
> I asked my provider and they told me that the cable speed is at the
> most for me.
> Normal downloads from Apple can reach 800 K/s.  Why is Skype so slow?
> I don't have problems with video on Skype.  I've a G5/2.5 and X10.4.7.

Normal cable and DSL accounts are asymmetrical in that uploads are
much slower than downloads, how much slower usually depends on how
much you're willing to pay. So you are limited by the sending end's
upload speed. I'll leave the math to you to determine whether or not
the speed you're seeing is a reasonable approximation of what you or
your senders ISP says the upload speed should be.

Phil