[X4U] DVD burner Drive affected by high temps and humidity?

Lee Licata lazilicata at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 08:12:28 PDT 2006

My thanks to those who responded.

Here is what I have found.

Apple DVD-R discs are a slight bit thinner than any other DVD-R disk
that I can find around here. Measured with calipers and then had a
machinist friend measure with his calipers.

We both agree that Apple's are thinner. Not by much, but measurable.

In "normal" weather, appears NOT to be a problem.

In hot weather, just may be. Have to wait for next summer to prove my
supposition....

Of course, finding apple branded DVD discs here is a real PITA.

Someone thought that the medical / archival DVD-R disks might be
thinner than the average DVD-R disc, but was not sure.

Finding them here is harder than finding Apple discs.

Forget about any RW discs. They are thicker than any DVD-R discs.
Have not tried DVD+R discs as have not heard good things about them....

The tech that looked at my powerbook told me that anecdotal
experiences that he has had is that in hot weather, external DVD
drives are more likely to work than most laptops' internal DVD
drives. Especially Apple's.

He recommended that i invest in a portable external DVD burner just
to be on the safe side.

Anyone have a strong recommendation for a portable DVD burner?

Lee
Ankara