[X4U] Startup chime: sometimes on sometimes off

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Sun Sep 17 11:39:41 PDT 2006

On Sep 16, 2006, at 9:01 PM, Germain M. wrote:

> Hello, strange thing happening here. It's been two weeks now since
> my iMac G5 chokes on the chime at the startup. I'd say one time out
> of four, there's no chime at all but the startup process seems OK.
> Is it something that preceeds a big nasty problem? First time ever
> it happens to me.
>

> Germain

*
When my startup chime stopped (G4 - 400) one of the Apple 'geniuses'
at the Apple Store (Palo Alto) told me to reset the non-volatile
RAM.  Here's how:

Restart while holding down Command, Option, 'O' and 'F' keys.  This
starts up in 'open firmware' mode.

Type:

    reset-nvram    CR  (= carriage return)
    reset-all          CR