[X4U] Safari question

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Sep 27 04:52:53 PDT 2006

On 27 Sep 2006, at 07:08, Michel Treisman wrote:
> But I wanted to download the files to the desktop instead, so I
> broke the connection with Adobe Reader.

What steps did you undertake "break the connection", please?

Ooops.... I see you say you can't remember what you did. Have you
tried reinstalling Adobe? That's very persistent at installing its
browser plugin.

> Result is not very good.  The PDF files don’t download either way.
> The PDF URL appears in the URL bar, but it stops there – nothing
> happens.  So I would like to go back to the way it was before, but
> I can’t remember what I did.  I am running 10.4.7 on a powerbook.

Sorry, to ask this, but are you SURE they don't download?

In Safari's menu (at the top of the screen, next to the blue Apple)
can you click on Window and open the Downloads Window. When you
download a PDF, are you sure it doesn't appear in there? If it does
then click the little spyglass icon on the right to open a Finder
window showing the file.

The reason I ask this is that I hate PDFs opening in a browser, too,
and have also disabled both Adobe's pdf browser plug-in and
Preview's. Often if I right-click on a link to a pdf and "open in new
window", or if the <a> tag has a "target" declaration, then a new and
empty window is opened.

Stroller.