[X4U] Re: X4U Digest, Vol 25, Issue 26

Michael J. Prevost mprevost at dot4.com
Wed Sep 27 11:21:20 PDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 11:08 PM, Michel Treisman wrote:

>  > When I wanted to download a PDF file in Safari, and clicked on it,
>  > what used to happen was this: After quite a long wait, the Adobe
>  > Reader toolbar would appear at the top of a browser page, and the
>  > PDF file would open in the browser.
>  >
>  > But I wanted to download the files to the desktop instead
>
>Control-click or right click if you have multi-button mouse and chose
>the appropriate menu entry to avoid the normal left click behavior.
>

>  > , so I broke the connection with Adobe Reader. Result is not very
>  > good. The PDF files donít download either way. The PDF URL appears
>  > in the URL bar, but it stops there ñ nothing happens.  So I would
>  > like to go back to the way it was before, but I canít remember what
>  > I did. I am running 10.4.7 on a powerbook.
>  >
>  > Things I have tried   -  I could find nothing useful in Safari
>  > preferences.
>  >                                     Reset Safari
>  >                                     Repair permissions and run
>  > Diskwarrior
>  >                                     Trash preferences
>  >                                     Reinstall Safari by running the
>  > 10.4.7 Combo updater.
>  >

>While you should be able to manually fix this (I forget where this
>done, but someone else will probably remember) reinstalling Acrobat
>Reader should do the trick.
>
>Phil

You don't need to reinstall Acrobat. Instead,
just launch Acrobat. Go to the Help menue and you
will find a "Detect and Repair" option. That
feature will examine all of your browsers and fix
the wrongs you inflicted ;-)

I think this works with Reader as well, but I can't swear to it.

Let us know if that works.

Mike

--
Michael J. Prevost