[X4U] Transcription, document management (part deux)

Andy Fragen lists at thefragens.com
Wed Sep 27 21:08:47 PDT 2006

Jim,

I'm a surgeon and I used to do something similar with the whole
cassette tape/pick up/drop off thing. I found that my local
transcriptionist was more than eager to stop the driving all over the
city. I dictate into one of the Olympus digital recorders that is
able to plug directly into my USB port.

The Olympus recorder makes WMA files. These files are actually
reasonably sized. All I do is download the files and email them off.
When they're completed, the Word docs are sent back to me. I print
them on letterhead as appropriate and off they go.

Could this be better sure. I realize it doesn't address your
difficulty with offsite access but possibly one way to accomplish
this would be to save these letters as PDF and make yourself a
password protected web site to access from the hospital. I'm sure
there are no end of database backend solutions to search, store, etc.

--
Andy Fragen