[X4U] Sleep Problem when using an HP Scanner

Robert A. (Bob) Hall rahall at ptd.net
Thu Apr 12 13:05:30 PDT 2007

  My  Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics) connected to an HP Scanjet 3970 will
not "Sleep" automatically. It will only if "Sleep" is selected from
the Finder Menu.

  I found the application "HP Scanjet manager" active in the Utilities
/ Activity Monitor. The only work around I found is to remove the
folder "HP Scanjet Scanner" in "Library/Application Support/Hewlett
Packard" Folder. This folder contains the "HP Scanjet manager"
application and terminal program to activate the application upon log
in. This disables the buttons on the front of the Scanne and allows
full operation, except I must start the HP Scanjet Copy Utility by
using it installed in the Dock.

I tried removing only the application "HP Scanjet Manager" That
interfered with operation of the balance of the software operation.
It appears that the only function lost because of my actions, is loss
of use of the buttons on the front of the scanner.

Can anyone suggest a way to restore use of the scanner "buttons" and
have normal sleep operation?
Note that I am using Mac OS 10.40.9.

Or can anyone suggest another discussion list where I can better
obtain an answer.

This was submitted to HP using their web email support web site and I
have had received any response.

Bob Hall