[X4U] ghost - disk duplicator type utility for Mac OS X

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Apr 16 21:54:18 PDT 2007

On 04/16/07, Jerry Kemp <apple.mail.list at oryx.cc> wrote:

> Hello Jim,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I have used CCC before personally at home, and I
> always use it prior to a major upgrade on any of my systems at home.
>
> Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to do anything, or put anything
> on the drive in question.  The drive will need to be duplicated with no
> modification on my part.

If the computer's a Mac and it has FireWire ports, then get an external FWHD,
partition it into two partitions, one large enough to hold what's on the
computer and one to hold OS X. Then, install OS X on it. Hook up the FWHD to
the computer, boot the computer with the FWHD (holidi down the OPTION key and
select the FWHD), and use Disk Utility to restore the computer to the vacant
partition. That will use Apple Software Restore to do a block-level copy onto
the vacant partition. Nothing is done to the computer except to launch the
Startup Manager which is stored within the ROM/CPU.