[X4U] Mail.app capacities

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Apr 19 22:44:56 PDT 2007

On 19 Apr 2007, at 07:17, Zane H. Healy wrote:
> ... Just how capable of handling mail is Mail.app?  I use Eudora
> Pro for my day to day email.  However I have a couple of
> administrative accounts that I use Mail.app to keep an eye on.
> With only 12,596 messages in the one box, and 2727 in the other it
> is practically paralyzed.  It simply doesn't seem to be able to
> handle the load.  It takes a minute or more to load the larger box,
> and it will pop up the spinning beach ball when I click on some of
> the messages.  This is on a G5 2x2 with 3.5GB RAM, so it's not some
> puny machine.

I see I have 115,124 messages in one folder that I never read. I
double-clicked on it & was able to read today's messages within 10
seconds. This is on a DP 1.8 G5 running 10.4.9 with a 160gig h/d with
14gig free.

The messages are stored on a server running courier-imap. It's a
Pentium III 700mhz with a c 20gig system drive, but I don't think
that's relevant - I think, instead, that Mail.app caches the messages
locally.

Stroller.