[X4U] Upgrade to 10.4 results in crashes

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Apr 23 16:32:55 PDT 2007

> On 04/22/07,  "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
> >
> > I spent the day making sure that my system and data disks were both
> > clean as far as "Disk Utility" and "DiskWarrior 3.03" were concerned.
> > I then used "Carbon Copy Cloner" to duplicate my system disk to a new
> > drive (thankfully).
>
> Smart move.
>
> > Then I upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4 (I bought 10.4 the day it was
> > released, so it's base 10.4).  Once the system was rebooted, I
> > started poking around and realized that I didn't have the upgraded
> > X-Windows installed, so I went into the Optional Installs and told it
> > to install the Optional Applications.  I believe I told it to install
> > the upgrades for everything except for iTunes.
>
> Which option did you choose: upgrade previous version or A&I?

Upgrade previous version

> > Shortly after I did that, I crashed.  Rebooted from my utility HD,
> > ran "Disk Utility" and "DiskWarrior" and everything seemed fine, so I
> > rebooted to 10.4 again, and promptly crashed.  Rebooted again, logged
> > in as root this time, started downloading the 10.4.9 combined updater
> > and a couple minutes later crashed.
> >
> > At that point I pulled the system disk, swapped it for the copy, and
> > I'm once again running 10.3.9.
> >
> > Would installing the 10.4 versions of "AddressBook", "iCal", iChat",
> > "Mail", Oxford Dictionaries", "Safari", or "X11" (like I said, I
> > don't think I installed "iTunes") cause instabilities on a system
> > that's been running 10.3.9 and was up-to-date with the exception of
> > the last two months worth of updates?
>
> Shouldn't, although Tiger has more stringent RAM requirements. Most, if not all
> system crashes are hardware related, with RAM being the most likely culprit.
> Run the Apple Hardware Test program that came with the machine, extended tests.
> If machine passes those, get MemTest and ring out the RAM.
>
> If everything works, reclone the 10.3.9 installation and then reinstall 10.4,
> using the upgrade previous version option, ensuring that you select
> customization-IIRC, that should give you the optional installs. That's the
> simplest and always worked best while I was beta-testing Tiger.

I ran a reclone of the 10.3.9 install overnight.  I'm planning on trying
another install of 10.4 later on tonight.  I'll look into the customization
option.

The thought of RAM crossed my mind after I started the clone last night.
The strange thing is that until I installed the Optional Applications the
system seemed fine.  It was up longer prior to that, than it was all three
crashes combined after that.  Considering how rock solid the system has been
on 10.3.9, I'll be really ticked off if 10.4.x is so picky that it requires
me to replace RAM.

I *REALLY* do not want to have to take the time necessary to do a clean
install and reconfiguration of everything!

		Zane