[X4U] Upgrade to 10.4 results in crashes

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 23 18:16:55 PDT 2007

On 23 Apr 2007, at 13:17, Daly Jessup wrote:
> At 1:12 PM +0100 4/23/07, Stroller wrote:
>> On 23 Apr 2007, at 06:33, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>> Then I upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4 (I bought 10.4 the day it was
>>> released, so it's base 10.4).
>>
>> I always back up my system, do a format & install and then copy my
>> ~user directory into the new system. I can't advise on upgrade
>> installs.
>>
>> My experience is that an install of OS X _does_ get quirky & start
>> to misbehave over time, and a format & reinstall is about due when
>> a major o/s is released.
>
> Do you then reinstall all your applications from scratch?

I'd say "obviously" but I suppose one could drag & drop from the /
Applications folder of the backup.

Yes, I prefer to reinstall "all" my applications "from scratch".
Reinstalling is not onerous on a Mac and I only ever have a handful
of apps that I actually use - on a current system FAR more of /
Applications/Stuff is junk that I've installed, tried & never touched
again, used for only one job &c &c.

I'd rather have a program b0rk out during install, find that it's not
compatible with OS X.y and have to obtain the latest version than
have it left over from the old install and only find out it doesn't
work when I actually need to use it.

I would say that on a Mac a format & reinstall takes a couple of
hours to get me substantially up & running again - on a PC it used to
take me a couple of days. I love the way that I can copy over the
preference files for the handful of applications that are really
important to me over from my old ~/Library/Preferences to my new
install. Windows stores such preferences in the registry and so in
order to get them right again I would have to open each app in turn &
go through the menus ticking boxes & editing settings, instead.

There are things that are definitely not right on this 18-month-old
(??) installation of 10.4 - formatting & installing would give me
complete confidence that none of the bugs will be transferred over to
my new system.

Stroller.