[X4U] Re: Sync program recomendations please

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Wed Apr 25 06:51:45 PDT 2007

On 4/23/07 8:40 AM, "John Burt" <jtb at chem.csustan.edu> wrote:

> I need to synchronize selected data between the dome base iMac running
> 10.3.9 and the new MacBook Pro in a chemistry lab. Both are on the
> internet via either T1 or protected WiFi most of the time and file
> sharing is on. The files are in a protected 4.7 GB disk image (copy on
> both machines) that mounts at boot up. The files are in multiple
> folders on the disk image, but I could change that if necessary.

I do pretty much the same thing between a MacBook Pro and a dual G5 using
Synchronize! Pro X. It's VERY configurable, warns you if there are files
that have changed on BOTH machines, and lets you synchronize folders, files,
even entire disks.

The critical thing for me doing this is making certain I don't change the
files on both systems. MS Office is the hardest, because opening ANY MS
Office application also launches the "database daemon", which will affect
the modification date of the Entourage database if there's still an Office
application open when you do the synchronization. This little wrinkle makes
using calendar alerts in Entourage impossible for me.

Jim Robertson