[X4U] USB 2.0 vs Firewire?

Robert A. (Bob) Hall rahall at ptd.net
Sat Apr 28 12:03:42 PDT 2007

Will someone tell me  why I should use FireWire for an external
Backup drive instead of USB 2.0.

I accidentally purchased a USB 2.0 instead of the Combo drive as I
had intended. I can still return it at some coast. A good priced
Seagate's  FreeAgent, a 5 year warrantee unit. I can use it on my
primary desktop commuter (has both FireWire and USB 2.0) and my other
computers (laptops) have only FireWire. I usually backup to my
primary (Desktop), then back that computer up weekly.

I guess my real question what is the practice difference between FW
and USB 2.0? The specs indicate transfer rates of USB 2.0 are faster
than FireWire [FireWire 400 - 400Mbps (or 50MB/sec) and USB 2.0 -
480Mbps (or 60MB/sec)]. However, I  seem to remember articles that
indicated there were technical reasons why FireWire provided better
actual throughput. I haven't been able to find such articles now.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Bob Hall
rahall at ptd.net