[X4U] Progress on 10.4 upgrade causing crashes

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Apr 28 17:40:51 PDT 2007

> On 4/28/07 1:50 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
> > Either it doesn't like the WD2500 (250GB) drive for some reason, or it
> > doesn't like the system disk being in the bottom drive bay.
>
> What are the jumpers set to on that disk?

On the System disk (Seagate 300GB) I don't believe there are any, on the
other ones I was trying to use as a system disk (newer Seagate 300GB) they
were set to SATA I speeds.  On the Data HD, (WD 250GB) it's set to disable
"Spread Spectrum Clocking".

I just got back from Fry's, and am currently formating the first to two
750GB HD's I bought for $219 apiece.  One will be the Data HD, the other
will be a backup of the Data HD.  This should also allow me to retire 4
external HD's (2 data disks, 2 backups).  Though I think I'll use at least a
couple of the external HD's for off-site storage.

Since I am doing an erase that writes a Zero to every location, I'm going to
be at this for a nice long while.  In fact it looks like I'll betrying the
upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.4 on the 2nd anniversary of the release of 10.4
(April 29th), which also happens to be when I first tried upgrading this
system to 10.4.  Two months later the brand new system disk died (which is
why I'm spending a few hours today writing zeros), and since at that point
10.4 was more trouble than it was worth to me, I went back to 10.3.9.

		Zane