[X4U] Progress on 10.4 upgrade causing crashes

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Apr 28 19:02:06 PDT 2007

Robert Ameeti wrote:
> At 5:40 PM -0700, 4/28/07, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
> >Since I am doing an erase that writes a Zero to every location,
>
> Why?

Previous experience has shown it to be a better test of a new hard drive
than a simple erase.  By writing a zero to every location on the HD, you
know that at least initially you're able to do it.

I've seen a hard drive that I was able to erase, but about 80% in was bad
and it wouldn't handle a erase when writing zeroes to every location.

Of course on a 750GB drive takes half of forever, but not as long as doing
only one of the 3 recommended passes on a 2GB Seagate Barracuda SCSI HD when
installing RSTS/E on a PDP-11/73 (that ran for over 12).

		Zane