[X4U] USB 2.0 vs Firewire?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Apr 28 19:10:07 PDT 2007

On Apr 28, 2007, at 12:03 PM, Robert A. (Bob) Hall wrote:

> Will someone tell me  why I should use FireWire for an external
> Backup drive instead of USB 2.0.

The biggest reason is speed.  FireWire 400 is almost twice as fast as
USB 2.0 on a Macintosh in the real world

See:
http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

(The theoretical speeds of both USB 2.0 and FW400 are more or less
irrelevant to their performance in the real world.  Neither come
close to their theoretical speed.)

Especially when you are using an external drive to backup to, you
want a fast drive.  Backups can take a long time.  The longer you
have to wait for a backup to complete, the less likely it is that you
will be willing to actually do it.  Since backups are vitally
important, it is best to make them as painless as possible so that
you are encouraged to actually do them.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html