[X4U] Saving colour, brightness & contrast adjustments to quicktime movie

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Apr 29 17:44:00 PDT 2007

Hi there,

I've just recorded a short clip of movie with my mobile phone (a Sony
Ericson P990i) and zapped it over to my Mac using bluetooth. Isn't
technology wonderful?

The clip is labelled with a ".3GP" file extension, but appears to be
a genuine 100% Apple QuickTime movie file:
   $ file Documents/DSC00003.3GP
   Documents/DSC00003.3GP: Apple QuickTime movie file (ftyp)
   $
Certainly, double-clicking on it in Finder causes it to open in
Quicktime and if I then click "Save As..." the resultant file is
saved immediately (suggesting to me that no transcoding occurs) and
has a .mov extension. The resultant file is about the same size - the
original was 3.7meg and the .mov copy saved by Quicktime is only 3k,
c 0.1%, larger) and it seems to be the same type (running the file
command on it shows the same output as above).

Anyway, this movie is not good enough to justify submission to
YouTube, but I think my Mom would like to see it. But having been
taken inside at midnight with only a couple of 60watt light bulbs for
illumination it is hard to make anything out in the clip until I
discover that
Quicktime's Window menu has an "A/V Controls" option (Apple-K) which
allows me to adjust colour, brightness & contrast.

With a little adjustment in Quicktime's "A/V Controls" window the
picture quality is adequate for our purposes. Is there any way to
save these settings along with the file? If I go through the Save
As.. menu option the resultant file is just as dark as it was in the
first place. I would rather not have to explain to my mother how to
navigate all these controls before she can watch the clip!!

 From Quicktime's "Show Movie Properties" window (Apple-J) I find
that the video track is MPEG4 and the audio track "AMR narrowband".
Presumably I could extract these and find some Linux program that
would transcode them and apply specified colour & brightness filters,
but if possible I'd rather do this from my Mac with a handful of
mouse clicks.

Either I'd prefer some way to save the colour / brightness / contrast
settings with the movie so that Quicktime on my Mum's Mac will apply
them automatically, or I'd like a simple way to transcode the movie
with these adjustments - a transcode that makes it little larger and
without massive degradation of image quality.

Any suggestions?

Stroller.