[X4U] 10.4.x irritation with G5

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Sun Apr 29 18:31:47 PDT 2007

On Apr 29, 2007, at 8:14 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> With re-upgrading to 10.4 I'm reminded of one of the things about
> it that really irritated me two years ago.  The fans on my Rev. 0
> G5 2x2 seem to kick in a lot more with 10.4.x than under 10.3.9.
> Plus (and I'm pretty sure this is somehow related to the fans),
> when I have the "Marine Aquarium" screen saver running the G5
> starts to squeal like a loud bearing, oddly enough the only time I
> really hear this is when the screen saver is running.

I've got a June '04 2x2 G5 with none of the issues you are experiencing.

One of the remedies for over-revving fans I have seen is to shut the
computer down and pull the power plug from the machine (not the wall)
for about a minute or so.

That resets the PMU/SMU and usually quiets the fans down.

Good luck,

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net