[X4U] MS Office 2008 delayed

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Aug 3 00:05:20 PDT 2007

On Aug 2, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Tim Collier wrote:

> I find that I'm using Pages and Mellel (another Universal Word
> Processor) more and more and Word less and less.  I hate how slow
> it loads on my Intel Macs and I'm beginning to doubt that I'm
> actually going to upgrade when (if) the update ever comes out.
> Tired of waiting for Microsoft.

I'm using Word v.X on my 24-inch iMac, and it loads quickly and runs
really well.

Word checks all of your installed fonts when it opens, so if you pare
down the number of fonts that you have installed for Word, that might
help it launch quicker.  Also, if you have a corrupted font, or a
font conflict, that can drastically slow Word's launch time.  You may
want to use Font Book to validate all of your fonts.

Norton/Symantec Antivirus and some document management programs have
been implicated with a problem with slow opening of Word.  You may
want to experiment with disabling any of these that you have
installed too see if they are the problem.

Finally, sometimes i will find that Word doesn't open or work as
sprightly as it usually does, and I've found that simply repairing
permissions helps.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html