[X4U] (POT) Graphic Artist Question

Ralph ralph at avatarbiz.com
Fri Aug 3 17:16:17 PDT 2007

That's a lot of computer for a "GREEN Graphic Artist"!

A 20-inch (or better, 24-inch) iMac with 3GB of RAM would do just
fine (that's better than any artist in our shop has to work with; I
do all my design and production work on a 17-inch 1.67 GHz G4
PowerBook with 1GB of RAM). For a catalog project, HD space will be
the big issue (what with photos and so on); the 750GB option Apple
offers should do it. You can add an external later if need be.

In short, go for greatest screen real estate and storage capacity
first and foremost. Just about any current processor will serve well
enough; especially for catalogs, the machine doesn't need to be a
speed demon.

Software: either Quark xPress or Adobe InDesign for page layout
(depends on what the designer trained on; these days, InDesign is
preferred); Photoshop for working with product shots, etc.;
Illustrator for line drawings and other vector graphics (like logos);
and Acrobat Professional. If they'll use InDesign, get the Adobe bundle.

For someone who's new to the game, this system will provide room to
grow for years, and won't overly tax your budget.

Ralph Jones
Avatar Community Business Center
Fairfax, California
ralph at avatarbiz.com