[X4U] (POT) Graphic Artist Question

Christopher Collins maclist at analogdigital.com.au
Fri Aug 3 20:44:49 PDT 2007

I think the other part that people are forgetting is :NEW: graphic
artist part of the question.

So chances are, He or She may not be very familiar with the software
and/or OS X and will be learning not only the job they have to do,
but also the software. This will mean, He/She will be nowhere near as
productive, or as fast, as a trained graphic artist.

I think the most balanced  option I have heard so far is the 24" iMac
with 2GB RAM, possibly with a HDD upgrade.

For graphics and desktop publishing usage, desktop real estate is the
most useful thing you can have. Even a Core 2 Duo or Core Duo CPU
won't be over loaded in this type of environment. I wouldn't
recommend less than 2GB of RAM on any Intel Mac for one reason only -
each uses 2 modules. So to upgrade, you must replace what you have,
not add to it. Go for the extra video card memory option and the
extra HDD capacity only if you don't have external or server storage.

Just for comparison (US Apple Store):

Apple iMac 24", 2.33GHz C2D CPU, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Wireless KBD and
Mouse, 256MB Video Card = US$2808.00
Apple Mac Pro, 2 * 2.0GHZ Dual Core Xeon, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD,
Wireless KBD and Mouse, 256MB Video Card, Apple Cinema Display 23" =
US$3615.00

There is a saving of US$807.00.

Is a beginner graphic artist likely to notice any real difference
between these 2 machines? UNLIKELY! Perhaps poofteenths of a second
here and there.

And that US$807 goes a long way towards covering the cost of the
necessary software!

Adobe Creative Suite CS3 Design Standard (InDesign, Acrobat,
Photoshop and Illustrator) = US$1199 (Mac Mall)

So which way is a business owner likely to go when presented with
these options? Let alone a non-profit? It seems very obvious.

While it is nice to have the latest and greatest, business needs and
finances usually dictate otherwise.

My 2 cents worth after many years of dealing with business owners and
purchasers in both the PC and Mac worlds.

Christopher