[X4U] MS Office 2008 delayed

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Aug 4 15:33:26 PDT 2007

On Aug 4, 2007, at 12:06 PM, Peter Saint James wrote:

> Word usually works fairly well for me, but--as with most MS
> products--I always have the feeling I'm fighting with the program
> instead of getting cooperation from it.

Have you ever had any training on how to use Word?  If you have never
been trained how to use Word, you will *always* be fighting with it.
If you learn how to use it, you will find it easy to use and your
productivity will go way up compared to using any other word processor.

I highly recommend VTC online training.
For instance, here is the link to their training for Microsoft Word
2004:
http://www.vtc.com/products/office2004mac.htm
Some of their training modules are free.  You can get online
training, with access to their *entire library* 24/7, for only $30/
month.

> Every time I try to do something a little different, it gives me a
> problem.

Please give specific examples.  I'm sure that I, or other Word users
here, can help you with those problems.

Is it that you have been trained to use those features, and they
aren't working properly, or is it that you don't understand how to
use these features and they simply don't work as you might expect?

Personally, whenever I find that I need to do something different,
I'm usually very pleasantly surprised to find (after a look through
Word's Help, or a book on Word) that the program can do it, and that
it does it well.

The other day I needed to reformat a long list and make it
alphabetical.  I tried to do it in a third party application, and it
took forever and didn't do a great job.  I found that Word could do
this (it isn't at all obvious just by looking in menus), and it did
it instantly and perfectly.

I often need to copy a bunch of stuff, and paste it back in in a
certain order.  Does anything else have as slick a feature as Word's
Office Clipboard?

I often skip around in a long document, editing it here, and then
there, where different parts of the document relate to one another.
No other word processor that I know of lets you instantly jump from
one spot to another like Word's Go Back feature does.

Word has countless features to help you get your work done quickly.
The ones that I use are invaluable to me, and work perfectly.  But
you can only use these features if you know about them.  You can only
know about them if you have had some training on how to use Word.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html