[X4U] Re: Office 2008 thread

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Sun Aug 5 08:07:59 PDT 2007

This thread is probably too far along to try to come back to the topic,
but - in any event - here are my six cents worth:

1) Word 2004 is the best medium-to-heavy duty word processor
I've seen. I started with WordStar years ago, migrated to WordPerfect
on the Mac (sorry to see it go), used early versions of Word (some
were very good, some not so good), and now Word 2004. It was
good on my Powerbook  and it's even better - and faster - on my
2GB MacBook.

And it starts up in four seconds flat. (I don't have many added
fonts.)

2) I'm a fairly sophisticated user of Excel 2004 as well as Word.
Neither
application is Universal, but so what! Excel 2004 on my MacBook is
snappy
and fast. I have 2.5 MB spreadsheet that took about 12 seconds to save
on my Powerbook, but only four seconds on the MacBook.

It's not really important what kind of engine is under the hood,
just so long as it keeps me in the race.

Of course, I'm eagerly awaiting the Universal binary. Nothing wrong with
getting even more powerful!

3) Don't forget the Intel Macs can run XP or Vista just as fast as
the Dells
can. You now have the option of running one Mac word processor for
most of your work, and then using Word 2007 or whatever under Parallels,
Boot Camp, or Fusion for the special jobs.

I'm using XP Pro and Parallels. If I need a Windows program, I'll
just use it.
No need to look for a Mac equivalent (though I do).

Anyway, just my six cents worth.

Jon