[X4U] Re: DVD Copying

Wilson Ng wilsonng_gum at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 4 23:20:19 PDT 2007

I believe that at lower bit rates (when you want to keep the file size as
small as possible), two-pass encoding works much better and creating better
quality video. The first pass gathers up the raw data and then the second
pass has a better idea of how to compress the video.

But when you start getting to higher bit rates (larger file sizes) then
two-pass encoding doesn't improve it as much. This is due the fact that the
encoder will have more bits to play with and have more room to breathe when
it comes to encoding the DVD.

I would do a 2-pass only if I'm encoding the video at less than 800 kbps.

Otherwise, the improvements of 2-pass over 1-pass is negligible when you're
encoding at 1500 kbps or higher.

On 8/5/07 9:21 AM, alexandre <mac at kapellos.com> wrote:

>> Have you compared the 2-pass encoding to one-pass for videos?  I
>> have heard people say that they can't see the difference in quality..

:-D   Wilson - Guam, U.S.A.

- - - P L E A S E   C U T   A L O N G   D O T T E D   L I N E - - -
You can bend my ear
We can talk all day
Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say.  -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET