[X4U] Re: X4U Digest, Vol 36, Issue 14

Jeff Johnson jrj1120 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 01:57:16 PDT 2007

On 8/6/07, Ed Graf <edgraf at earthlink.net> wrote:
> If you have little experience with Macs, be prepared for a long
> relationship. It just works, and works, and works. It is surprising
> how well the architecture handles improvements, year after year.

Yes, I am well aware that Macs do last. Evidence: I have a 1986 Mac
SE, maxed out with 4 MB RAM and running System 7.5, that still works
(original cost ~$3500). I also have an eight-year-old G3 PowerBook
(Lombard) that, despite barely functional hinges, still works and is
now a repository for tons of old email messages (original cost
~$2600).

My point is that, while older computers may still run, they generally
are likely to be replaced sooner than they did in the past. It's not
that one can't get by with an older machine, it's juts that it's
harder to do and still be able to run the latest software (if that's
important). As we have learned with the Apple shift to Intel, the
ability to run software is critically linked to the hardware.

I don't doubt that I could still be using my old black Pbook, I just
would rather have a MacBook Pro. It's way less hassle. And in 2010,
I'll probably be shopping for its replacement. I don't know what the
specs or bottom line on that future machine will be but, since Moore's
Law still seems to be in effect, it will be much faster, have more
functionality and, based on the current set of available features,
cost less.