[X4U] Word is Slooooow

Neil lists at mac.com
Tue Aug 7 08:06:12 PDT 2007

I remember an early version of MS Word on the Mac Plus, it was no
speed demon, but it worked ok.  When I finally upgraded my hardware
to a PPC Mac, I expected Word to really fly.  So, I installed the
latest version (v.6).  It was a brand new Power Mac, but I only had
the default amount of RAM so I didn't try to load any other apps
after startup.  Word was never slow for me.  It was instead such a
slug that it couldn't even launch on a brand new PowerMac.  It needed
more ram even if it was the only app running!  Needless to say, I
dumped Word.  Even years later, after MS came out with a version that
had better performance and a more Mac like interface, I had friends
who swore that there would never be a word processor better than MS
Word 5.1.

There is a lesson here for people who think that native software is
the end all and be all of computing performance.  Word 6, or as we
used to call it "Word for Windows for Mac," was 100% native.