[X4U] iLife '08 and iWork '08

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Aug 7 17:27:17 PDT 2007

Judi Sohn wrote:

> I've been playing with the demo for the past 30 minutes. So far, I'm
> quite impressed and I haven't even tried Keynote yet. I've been
> bouncing back and forth on documents between Word 2003, Word 2004 and
> Pages and the documents are translating between the applications
> quite nicely. Pages '06 seemed to be a page layout program that had
> word processing features. Pages '08 gives the word processor its due.
> Pages is fast and smooth and I can definitely see using it as my all-
> around go-to word processing app...at least until Word 2008 is
> finally out for consideration.

I'm not sure how long until I can demo it.  It won't be soon enough! :^)  I
was going to ask you about how it handles fonts, but realized I'd probably
just wait and answer those questions for myself.

> Numbers is not bad, but I don't think I'm going to get as much use
> out of it. Like Pages '06, the emphasis seems to be on style over
> substance. It may just be me, but 90% of the time I'm in Excel it's
> just for crunching numbers. I don't have to worry about how the data
> looks, as long as I can get it the calculations working correctly so
> I can import the data into another program. Nothing wrong with it,
> just doesn't match what my work process requires.

Ugh!  Well, it's not like I have to give up Excel 2004.  As I mentioned
previously, ClarisWorks can do everything I need.  Even once I switch to an
Intel-based system I know Excel 2004 is more than I need.

> If you haven't upgraded to 10.4.10 and/or Quicktime 7.2 yet, do that
> first. You'll get an error message if you try installing the demo
> with anything less.

This could slow me down, though I think/hope I've already upgraded.

Thanks for the first impressions Judi!  You covered the two I care about,
Keynote isn't targeted at what I need.

		Zane