[X4U] New Keyboards (was: iLife '08 and iWork '08)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Aug 8 13:38:03 PDT 2007

At 1:16 PM -0500 8/8/07, Linda wrote:
>On 8/8/07 7:50 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>>  If needed, I'll look at 3rd party keyboards.  I won't use a keyboard
>>  like Apple is now selling.
>
>I'm currently using a third-party keyboard (MacAlly's iceKEY), which I love
>because of its low profile and scissor-switch key mechanisms (just like a
>laptop keyboard, but full size for your desktop computer). This is the
>reason I expect my next keyboard to be one of Apple's new keyboards -- low
>profile, scissor switches (I assume), with the added bonus of being silver
>to match my G5 and G4 PowerBook, for no more money than the third-party
>keyboard.

I just looked up the iceKEY, it looks a lot nicer than the new Mac
Keyboards, though I'd want to actually use both before deciding which
is best.

If I had to I could use either the iceKey, or the wired version of
the new Apple keyboard, but that new Apple wireless just wouldn't cut
it for me.  I *NEED* the keys that are missing.  I've been known to
travel with a full sized keyboard and a laptop, because the laptop
keyboard won't do what I need it to.

I'm very, very picky about the keyboards I use, but I have to confess
I'm curious to give the low profile keyboards a try.  I wonder if
they would be easier on my hands.

I am starting to be a little more interested in the new Apple wired
keyboard.  I just realized something in looking at the zoomed
pictures that I hadn't noticed before, those keys above the keypad on
it are function keys F16-F19.  If I can remap them to act as F17-F20
in X-Windows, I'll be a *LOT* more interested in this keyboard.
Another thing I like is that the aluminum frame should help to make
it nice and sturdy.

		Zane