[X4U] HP LaserJet 4550 Updated

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Aug 14 06:15:34 PDT 2007

On 13 Aug 2007, at 22:21, David R. Boag wrote:

> Connection to the internet is via AirPort. HP LJ4550 is connected
> directly (no hub or router) to the back of the Mini.  When they
> originally set it up, it worked, but about 2-3 months ago, they did
> a softwre update via Software Update, and after that, they could no
> longer print to the 4550....
>  When he goes to the network system pref pane and goes to Built-in
> Ethernet, under TCP/IP there is NO IP address or anything else
> assigned to the Mac. It's pretty much blank. I can't remember where
> he got it, but he told me his Mac's Ip address was 192.168.1.104. I
> am thinking that that may be the IP address for the AirPort port.

I think this is a clear & accurate analysis indicating the problem.
Thank you for posting such an informative report - it helps us very
easily help you.

> What I discovered today via phone is that the TCP/IP address of the
> printer w/ the JetDirect card inside appears to be 192.0.0.192. ...
> So we clearly have screwed up network settings. Now, anyone want to
> guide me in how to correct these so that he's talking using DHCP
> via the AirPort but talking either using Appletalk or TCP/IP to the
> 4550? And can the settings on the printer be changed easily or do
> you just have to make the IP address on the mac match the first
> three parts of the HP's IP?

The IP can - and in this case should - be changed on the printer.
<http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?
objectID=bpj02326>

How much do you know about IP addresses & subnet masks?

The printer & the Mac's ethernet port should be on the same subnet,
but a different one from the airport. All should be allocated private
addresses, such as 10.x.y.z or 192.168.x.y

In System Preferences > Network on the Mac DON'T TOUCH ANY OF THE
AIRPORT SETTINGS, since the user has never complained of his internet
failing. Check that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Providing the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 for the Airport then this
will work, otherwise come back to me:

In System Preferences > Network on the Mac go into the WIRED ETHERNET
and set the IP address to be 192.168.99.42 with subnet mask
255.255.255.0
Set the printer's IP to be 192.168.99.105 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Configuration should now be straight-forward.

192.0.0.192 seems to be some kind of "special" reserved IP address
for printing (or advertising printing services on the network)? - I
have never encountered it before and have always simply assigned a
proper IP address to it as described above. This is a good & correct
practice - I don't think there's any advantage - and possible
problems - trying to match your Mac's IP address to that range.

There is a menu option on the printer to print a sample page which
shows it's default paper size, lots of other stuff, and the full
network settings.