[X4U] Booting from external drive

Thomas W Noel tnoel at mac.com
Tue Aug 14 17:25:07 PDT 2007

On Aug 14, 2007, at 4:02 PM, Jens Selvig wrote:

> I decided I wanted to be able to make a bootable external hard
> drive for my MacPro. When I boot from the install CD, The Installer
> software says I am not allowed to install on any of the Firewire
> drives that are attached or the USB drive, either! I could install
> OSX on the second internal SATA drive.
>
> Now, I am getting older, but I am not loosing my mind, (I HOPE) but
> I do know that doing this on the G4-G5 computers was easy.
>
> Anybody have thoughts on what needs to be done.
>
> Jens Selvig
> ...lost in Montana...
Has to do with the Intel Macs needing a different boot
method.Probably need to change the drive partition map to GUID. Boot
from Install CD or DVD, look in Utilities menu for Disk Utility. Re-
partition drive and check GUID under Options. The installer is
actually more restricted in choices than necessary.
Another option is to clone a current boot-able drive to the external
Firewire or USB2 drive with a copy utility such as SuperDuper.
TechTools Protogo is another that can create a boot-able drive to CD,
DVD or even an iPod.