[X4U] Booting from external drive

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 23:33:51 PDT 2007

On 08/14/07, Jens Selvig <lstnmt at bresnan.net> wrote:

> I decided I wanted to be able to make a bootable external hard drive
> for my MacPro. When I boot from the install CD, The Installer
> software says I am not allowed to install on any of the Firewire
> drives that are attached or the USB drive, either! I could install
> OSX on the second internal SATA drive.
>
> Now, I am getting older, but I am not loosing my mind, (I HOPE) but I
> do know that doing this on the G4-G5 computers was easy.

Although others posted the proper information, all had one or two
misleading/incomplete statements WRT to file system formats and partition
mapping schemes. Hopefully, this clears things up.

OS X requires the Mac OS Extended (HFS+) file system formatting-applies to both
PPCs and ICBMs (Intel-chip-base Macs). Details on file system formats are in
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/FileSystem/Articles/MacOSXAndFiles.html>.

PPCs require the ApplePartition Map scheme and the ICBMs the GUID Partition
Table scheme. Details on partition mapping schemes are in
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/universal_binary/universal_binary_tips/chapter_5_section_10.html>.