[X4U] Re: MS Word Launch Time

Kenneth T. Bruseth kbruseth at wi.rr.com
Sat Aug 18 19:40:30 PDT 2007

On Aug 17, 2007, at 9:15 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> For those interested in speeding up the launching of Microsoft Word,
> this appeared on MacFixIt today:
>
>> Remove Fontcachetool
>> Microsoft's Office programs use an application called
>> "Fontcachetool" to check system/user fonts at launch.
>> Unfortunately, it seems that this tool often flags working fonts as
>> corrupt. Temporarily removing the tool bypasses this checking
>> mechanism, allowing Office apps to properly launch in some cases.
>> Navigate to the following directory:
>> 	•	/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Support Files
>> and move the application "Fontcachetool" to another location
>> outside that folder (your Desktop, for instance). Log out then back
>> in, and check for persistence of the corrupt font error message.
>> Removing this application can also provide a noticeable speed boost
>> in Office application launch time.

Wow! This worked great. I was startled to see the difference this
made. I no longer dread starting up Microsoft Word. Thanks for
passing this on Randy.

Kenneth T. Bruseth

17" gooseneck iMac 1.0 GHz. 80 GB ATA Hardrive (Internal), 1.5 GB
Ram.  Internal ATA "Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D". Iomega Zip 250 External
Firewire Drive, VST USB External Floppy Drive. NVDA, GeForce4MX Video
Card with 64 MB memory. Asante 5 port USB Hub. Harman/Kardon USB
iSub. Canon S900 USB Printer. Kensington USB/PS2 Trackball.. Griffin
Powermate. iSight. Tiger (v.10.4.10).