[X4U] Software to reveal passwords

Lars Bertelsen lbe at mac.com
Sun Aug 19 03:25:39 PDT 2007

>I am hoping someone can help me find software
>that will allow me to reveal passwords. We often
>have teachers who have forgotten their passwords
>over the summer and it would be nice if we could
>retrieve that information for them, especially
>for their connection to the server.
>
>  I found lots of software for Windows machines,
>but none for the Mac. For Windows, you drag the
>cursor over the asterisks and the password is
>revealed.
>
>Thanks for your help!
>
>Darlene Hess
>d_hess at bresnan.net

As someone else noticed, Unix (and therfore Mac
OS X)does not store the password as such but only
stores the value that comes of sending the
password through a one way hash algorithm.
Many confuse this with an encrypted password, but
there is an important difference. WHen a password
is encrypted, it is possible to decrypt it and
restore the original password if you know how.
Hopefully, without knowing the password in the
first place, it will be very HARD to do so, but
it can be done. This is because there is a
one-to-one relationship between the password and
the ncrypted password; two different passwords
will ALWAYS result in two different encrypted
values.

With a hash algorithm, this is not the case.
Several different passwords might result in the
same hash value, and therefore it is inherrently
impossible to "decrypt" the hash value and get
the original input. So, as was said before, what
you do is to compare the hash value of what the
user enters as his password to the hash value of
what was originally entered. Yes, in theory you
might neter the wrong password and still gain
entry, but the likelyjood is very, very small.
Probably not much greater that the chance of
accidently hitting on the right password in an
encrypted setup.

Now why woould you want to make it impossible
fopr the server owner to recreate the password
for a user? It seems like a stupid idea because
a) It is a nice service to the user to be able to
restore his original password in stead of giving
him a new one
and
b) The serv er owner has access to everything
anyway, so why keep the passwords from him?
The answer is simple: We all tend to use the same
password for many different things. This means
that if you as the server owner have access to
the passwords your users chose for access to the
file server, then chances are that you  also know
the passwords they use for their mail accounts,
their home banking and a host of other private
data that should be none of your bussiness! ;-)

That's why it is bad security to allow the IT
department to read peoples' passwords, and that's
why many systems use hashed passwords in stead of
encrypted passwords. I repeat: It is NOT a  good
thing that you can find such utilities for
Windows, it is really, really bad security!

So hopefully you will not be able to find
anything that easyíly lets you restore a password
from a MAc OS X server!

Returning the utility that can read the password
behind the asterisks in  a log in dialog, that's
a different story. It would depend on how the
application stores the password! In the simplest
solutions, you just use a special font which
shows the same symbol for all ASCII values.
Simply replacuíng the font with something else
may be enough to revale the password. In some
cases youcan even copy the text and paste it into
a text editor and gain access to it that way
)although that's fairly rare these days, thank
god!).
The point is that this is NOT related to the way
the password is stored on the server but to the
way the password is stored an presented in the
application.

If the programmer has done hi work poorly, then
you may be able to create a utility that can
restore this kind of password. Wheteher that is
the case for any Mac OS X applications I don't
know, but I wouldn't hope so.

Lars Bertelsen