[X4U] Clickable URL's and addresses in emails - TinyURL & preview

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Aug 23 18:13:42 PDT 2007

On 23 Aug 2007, at 13:30, Doug McNutt wrote:
> Note the "delsp=yes" in the Content-Type header. It's a rather new
> feature documented in RFC 3676 (2004) that comes well after the
> definition of format=flowed which in turn is a way of sending
> paragraphs instead of fixed-width lines while not offending mail
> clients of the teletype age that can't handle the 998 characters
> that are now allowed. Delsp requests that the receiving mail client
> remove "extra" spaces that appear after a return character that was
> added only to break paragraphs into short segments for transmission.

An enlightening reply - thank you

> The fellow I was working with ... now passes all of his URL's - 30
> or so in each daily message - through tinyurl.com so they look like
> this <http://tinyurl.com/2n7oo6> Because they are always short they
> never get wrapped. Personally I dislike it because of malware
> possibilities; I like to know where I'm going when I poke a URL But
> <http://tinyurl.com> is worth a visit.

<http://tinyurl.com/preview.php> allows you to set a cookie and
always see a message to the effect that "this tinyURL redirects to
the site http://long.originalurl/this/that/the/next - click on the
link to proceed".

Although I am inclined to agree with you - that the recipient of the
URL should be "entitled" to know where the link he's clicking to
refers to, and that having to visit the site and set the cookie
places the "burden" of revealing this upon the recipient rather than
the sender - this feature works perfectly and allows you always to
know where TinyURL's links are taking you. In fact, I found it works
TOO well, and disabled it after a week or so because I found the
number of additional clicks required to be frustrating when I was
creating & testing 3 or 4 tiny links (which might not uncommonly be
required in a long message).

Stroller.