[X4U] VNC solution from my Home Mac to mum's?

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Thu Aug 23 19:07:07 PDT 2007

At 12:44 PM +1100 8/24/07, Brett Conlon wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Could someone kindly explain the process for me to set up
>remote-control assisting of mum's Mac from my home Mac?
>
>My Mac wirelessly connects to my Airport Extreme which is connected
>to a cable modem. She's using wifi to her ADSL modem.
>
>I have Remote Desktop so I'm thinking I could use that and have her
>activate Sharing's Apple Remote Desktop option and tick the VNC
>setting.
>
>What is required for me to get through to her Mac's IP address?

She should tell you what IP address her computer is being given, from
looking in the TCP/IP tab under networking in the System Preferences.
If it's a public IP, that's great. If it's an internet IP address,
she will have to set up port forwarding to send your requests through
the router to her computer. That's the first thing to figure out.

Also, I have found Remote Desktop to be very nice on the local
network but absolute insanely slow when trying to control a Mac on a
remote computer. I hear that Timbuktu is better, but it's expensive,
and I haven't tried it in years. It does seem to be the last word in
remote control on Macs, though.

Daly