[X4U] Unable to open/assign permissions to files

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Fri Aug 24 20:00:26 PDT 2007

I asked a friend to upload some .avi files (The Lost Room...gotta
love that miniseries) to a drop box via afp filesharing.  He dropped
the files into the drop box on an account I only use for
troubleshooting issues.  I can't open the .avi files or convert them
because of permission issues.  I can't even copy them to another drive.

When I do a Get Info on the files, the permissions are listed as You
Have: No Access.  Owner: Nobody. Access: Read & Write.  Group: Blank.
All of the options are greyed out.  I can't even get figure out a way
to enter my administrator password to change permissions.

This is the first time I've ever run into this situation.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks!