[X4U] Dell printer driver for Mac?

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Mon Dec 3 20:48:03 PST 2007

At 17 37  +0000 12/3/07, Stroller wrote:
>On 1 Dec 2007, at 01:15, Daly Jessup wrote:
>>
>>As far as I can figure out, Tiger killed CUPS...
>
>It's certainly present here on 10.4. I'd be surprised if the
>web-admin interface is completely impotent.

It's present, all right, but I'd be interested in hearing what
happens if you click the "Configure" button (or it's called something
like that).   When I hit Configure Printer on the LaserWriter, I get
"You don't have permission to access the resource on this server."

>A network LaserJet 4000 & a USB Canon iP3000 both allow me to follow
>that link, but again I have to confess I'm not messing with them
>further.

Follow what link? To their Configure page? If so, you're getting
further than I am.

>I think this is simply because upgrading the version of CUPS
>manually breaks Printer Setup Utility & whatnot, the Apple version
>of CUPS (1.1?) being taken from an older release of the cups.org one
>(now 1.2 / 1.3). There's an article here
><http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070227212742511>
>about using CUPS 1.2.8 with Mac OS X 10.4.8.

I'm really going to drop this thread, because I don't know enough
about it to describe clearly, or comment usefully, about what I"m
seeing, but others seem to be able to telnet to their printer, or
find out its IP address, or get to it with a browser, or access it
with CUPS, and I"m denied all those access points. I don't know why
and don't know how to find out why. I have exhausted Google as a
resource for anything I can remotely understand. If it were terribly
important to me, at this point I would actually find and call in a
consultant, because I don't get why others can see it and my efforts
either time out or end in a message that I don't have permission, or
that the browser can't open the page "because it can't open the page".

>It's all a bit moot, since we don't seem to have the right model
>number for M. Milligan's Dell printer. I'm extremely confident one
>won't find official Mac drivers for Dell printers, nor any other
>kind of support at Dell's site, so it's a fairly general statement I
>make when I say that CUPS is generally the direction I'd look in,
>were I in M's position.

I hope it works for him.

Daly