[X4U] Re: Leopard Issues - Some Responses

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Tue Dec 4 12:05:36 PST 2007

On 4 Dec 2007, at 17:30, Stroller wrote:

> On 4 Dec 2007, at 05:25, Jon Warms wrote:
>> 4) The issue isn't how Verizon handles a poorly formed URL.
>> Domain-guessing adds the www and the dot com, so the
>> ISP sees a correctly formatted URL. I get the Verizon-Yahoo
>> search engine because the browser sends the incomplete URL
>> (the way I typed it).
>
> Prove it.
>
> Without making the DNS changes suggested today open a terminal
> window and type `host jr` (without the quotes).
>
> I hate it when people post misinformation and I believe you are
> incorrect when you absolve Verizon from blame. It frustrates me,
> therefore, that you continue to write paragraphs complaining about
> Apple over this.

 > host jr my.name.server
Using domain server:
Name: my.name.server
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
Aliases:

Host jr not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

 > host jr VZDNS01.VERIZON.COM
Using domain server:
Name: VZDNS01.VERIZON.COM
Address: 192.76.85.133#53
Aliases:

Dig yields a little more:

dig jr -> "status: NXDOMAIN" (non-existent domain)

dig jr @VZDNS01.VERIZON.COM -> status: NOERROR

Simon Forster