[X4U] Leopard Issues

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Wed Dec 5 07:39:11 PST 2007

One poster asked about the 10.5 installation. It was a clean install
from the Leopard DVD onto a just-formatted HDD.

On Dec 5, 2007, Robert Ameeti <Robert at Ameeti.net> wrote:

>> I went to the Westell modem site (192.168.1.1). The connection
>> summary shows a primary DNS of 71.250.0.12, and a secondary DNS of
>> 71.242.0.12. I couldn't change them. In any case, since both
>> computers use the Westell, these DNS can't be reason for the
>> different results.
>
> Look at the DNS settings of each computer in the System Preferences,
> not on the router. The DNS of the computer overrides the routers.
>

>> In any event, when I type "chevrolet", in the MacBook I get the
>> Verizon-Yahoo search program
>
> Does that really pass the smell test?

Huh? WTF does that mean? (Why do you add that garbage into
otherwise-helpful-postings?)

I used "chevrolet" because I hadn't used it before on either computer.

Thanks for the DNS explanation. Earlier, you suggested changing the
DNS in my computer. I did that on both computers. The 10.4.11 machine
added the ".com" (and the www). On the MacBook, there was a
delay of several seconds, and then the Verizon search page came up.
I assume it tried the changed DNS, which failed, and then tried the
DNS in the router, which didn't fail, but routed the address to Verizon.
So domain guessing never got applied.

But it's still not an answer. Whatever is going on has changed from
10.4.11 to 10.5.1. a) I'd like to understand what has
changed, and b) I'd like to know how I can undo the change.